School History

School History

There have been Christian Brothers’ Schools in Enniscorthy since 1857. First their school was sited in the Cathedral Yard, then in the Shannon. From 1867 to the late 1940’s, the school was housed in the building known as the Boys Club, on the Island Road. It served as both Primary and Secondary school and as a residence for the brothers.

By the 1890’s the school was so crowded that the Brothers built a dedicated Monastery as a residence on the Mill Park Road. This is now the 1798 centre. The school remained on the Island Road till in the late 1940’s when it was so overcrowded that new arrangements had to be made. Even renting rooms in what are now the council offices in the Market Square didn’t solve the problem.

So, in 1949 a new Primary School was opened on the Mill Park Road and the Secondary school moved in beside it in the old Model School. It meant that residence and schools were once again in close proximity.

The Secondary school was extended in 1972 and in 1988 a Board of Management and a lay Principal were appointed. The Primary School was amalgamated with the Presentation Girls school in 1994 to form St. Aidan’s National School. The old Model school was demolished in 1998 and the present school was opened in 1999. Since 2005 the old primary school - Áras Tobín -has been used for extra classrooms.

A further extension block of 5 classrooms and 2 resource rooms were built in 2016. This extension is named Áras Kerrigan in memory of Brother Ned (Senan) Kerrigan, a past pupil of the school, who was killed in the civil war in Sierra Leone on the 10 April 1995.

Oct
21 2019
6th Year/6.1 PT Meeting
Oct
26 2019
Halloween Holidays
Nov
04 2019
School Re-opens
Follow us
Enquire
Contact
St. Mary's CBS,
Mill Park Rd,
Killagoley,
Enniscorthy,
Co. Wexford,
Ireland

053 923 4330


Edmund Rice Schools Trust
‘An Edmund Rice School’
Location
© 2019 St. Mary's CBS